Thursday, January 31, 2008

Moment of Reflection

I've been absolutely swamped with stuff lately, but just wanted to jot off a short entry. I was reminded today how sad my job can be...just the general spectrum of people I come into contact with, it makes me realize how chaotic the world is.

I just got done reading two letters to the editor from a diagnosed schizophrenic who is in his 50s. One letter talks about how he is having difficulty receiving credit for a math proof, and he wants everyone to know; the other talks about some kind of signs or fliers that have been torn down in his neighborhood. I don't know why, it made me feel sad. Yesterday I got a call from one of the regulars, who always makes my eyes roll with his tangential conversations and looooong-winded diatribes. But I also acknowledge that he probably doesn't have anything else to do.

People call me up angry all the time. They call and tell me I'm an idiot for one decision or another that I've made (or the company has made) that they don't like...they call me out on news judgment, accuracy, all sorts of stuff...and they don't spare on the names or disparaging remarks. It still irritates me, but I realize that somehow it makes them feel better. I guess it's soothing or therapeutic for them to tell the local newspaper editor she is a piece of crap.

I have come to accept that as part of my job...and as a journalist in general, because it comes with the territory. But instead of making me feel inept, it shows me how sad, ugly and miserable people are out there...and they continue to prove it to themselves every day. That's pretty depressing to think about.

It's just a little sad, sitting here at my desk, thinking about the schizophrenic guy who just wants someone to listen, that there are so many voices in the world that drown each other out. As one of the people it all filters too, it paints a broader picture that lots of people don't see, or take the time to look at: Basically, a good portion of the population is angry all the time. It's too bad people don't calm down more and have fun!

2 Comments:

Blogger ElleDee said...

Awww, that's a lot for you to handle :( I think it's great you are listening to everyone, even if they are a bit kooky. Or nasty. I think that you're a really big person to do that.

6:37 AM  
Blogger demondoll said...

You have a good perspective. There are so many unhappy people who feel they aren't heard. I guess then they lash out, and you seem safe to them, because it isn't face to face.
I wish you didn't have to suffer so much abouse from these faceless voices. It's enervating, isn't it?

Hey, I think mebbe it's time for a paint-ball fieldtrip!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home