Monday, January 05, 2009

A Christmas Miracle! and other stuff

No, the miracle is not that I'm blogging. Although I admit, it's almost a supernatural phenomenon now. But what can I say...I'm now doing the jobs of four people, sometimes six, at work, so there isn't usually time to blog...or even think about blogging...or think about thinking about blogging...or blog about thinking about blogging...or breath or stay alive...or blog from home, because I'm basically a vegetable by the time I get there and look at the computer like it's the plague.

Anyway, our Christmas miracle! I thought I would blog this since it's a change from all the bad economic news we keep hearing about all the foreclosures. So Ryan and I just got back Saturday night from a week's vacation in Cabo San Lucas and discovered a letter in the mail from our mortgage lender. We got two loans when we bought our place, a big one and a little one. The big loan was only fixed for 3 years and was set to readjust next month. Luckily it was only going up by $400 per month, which we could manage, but still...it's not like anyone's thrilled when their mortgage goes up, right? So anyway, the letter said the lender decided not to readjust the loan after all, and instead they're going to lock it at the current interest rate for the life of the loan. We almost danced a little jig in the kitchen. The whole thing was totally unprompted...we didn't ask for any reconsideration or assistance or anything. The letter just came out of the blue, dated Dec. 23. Like Ryan said, a Christmas miracle. :)

The Cabo trip was a blast. We ate, drank and were merry all over the place, and of course there were plenty of memorable incidents. There were 10 of us...members of my small singing group, Special Blend, along with significant others and friends. Got a hot-stone massage in a nice spa at a neighboring resort. Rode ATVs in the desert and on the beach...it was fun, but my whole body hurt the next day. So the day after that I went back and got another hot-stone massage, this time with Ryan. What a life. :) We went snorkeling and saw lots of fish...Ryan also went sport fishing with three people in our group, and ended up catching a 35-pound dorado (pretty much like a mahi-mahi). His favorite part: when the fisherman beat the fish over the head with a stick. He's such a boy. ;) The hotel cooked up some of the catch and we had a great dinner that night. On New Year's Eve, we stayed in and played Trivial Pursuit while having fresh margaritas and a big spread of munchies from Costco. (Yes, they have Costco down there! And Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Home Depot. It was surreal.) At midnight we went down to the pool area and watched fireworks on the beach -- which a Mexican dude lit with his cigarette. Classic. Went whale-watching and saw some gigantic sea beasts, along with sea lions and lots of pelicans. Even watched a water taxi rescue a pelican from a fishing line. And of course, I'm glossing over all the tons of great meals and laughs we had. Really fun trip. Here's a video of me, Rob and Paul at around 1 a.m. on New Year's:



I had that friggin' song stuck in my head for three days after that. Now, thanks to this video (and Rob), it will NEVER go away.

So, back to the post-vacation grind. Work is such a buzzkill. It literally took three minutes this morning to undo a week's worth of relaxation. Well, at least we got some time to play!

Um, I will try to blog again sooner.....

2 Comments:

Blogger ElleDee said...

Congratulations on your Christmas miracle!!! PS: You still owe me a lunch date, missy.

8:11 PM  
Blogger demondoll said...

I love surprises like that!!!! Happy Christmas miracle!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home